For graduate students preparing to become faculty
This graduate certificate aims to prepare our future faculty and academic leaders by exposure to concepts that break the mold of existing practices in higher education. Many leaders in the academic and business communities have recently challenged colleges and universities to embrace change in order to ensure the viability of the higher education enterprise. Rather than settle for the status quo and witness a probable decline in sustainability, most argue that it is time to create new models and new methods of training for the future professoriate, who will become the faculty and academic leaders of tomorrow.
This certificate is part of the overarching theme Transformative Graduate Education, or TGE. Interconnecting compontents all serve to better prepare the next generation professoriate/professional.
- PFP2 - Preparing the Future Professoriate and Preparing the Future Professional - two complementary tracks
- Citizen Scholar Program - Addressing the impact of rigorous intellectual scholarship, leadership and policy beyond the educational realm.
Graduate students wishing to earn the graduate certificate in Future Professoriate must be currently enrolled master's or doctoral students in any discipline or major. These individuals must have satisfied all admissions requirements to be admitted and must remain in good academic standing.
Graduate students must complete a minimum of 9 graduate credits (6 of which must be graded graduate credits). Required core courses include (6 credit hours):
- GRAD 5104 Preparing the Future Professoriate (3 hours/3 credits)
- GRAD 5114 Pedagogical Practices in Contemporary Contexts (3 hours/3 credits)
Electives may be selected from the following (3 credit hours):
- GRAD 5204, Citizen Scholar Seminar
- GRAD 5214, Diversity and Inclusion in a Global Society
- GRAD 5004, GTA Training Workshop (1 credit) and instructional-related independent study or practicum (2 credit), or 3 credit elective
- College or department course on a topic related to pedagogy in higher education
Applying for the Future Professoriate Graduate Certificate
There are two forms students must submit to obtain the Future Professoriate Graduate Certificate
Application Certificate - This form should be submitted to the Graduate School for review and approval by the Dean in the semester the first course for the certificate is taken.
Application for Degree or Certificate - This form should be submitted in the semester the last course for the certificate is taken and will notify the Graduate School to award the certificate.