What We Do
Transform Your Education
Our Transformative Graduate Education experience empowers students and faculty to address the complex challenges of today’s society and tomorrow’s future.
We promote a graduate education that serves the whole student. We provide multiple ways for students explore their passions and interests and get involved.
Our professional development program offers a range of scholarly, social, and extracurricular activities to help you Prepare, Connect, Succeed, and Stand Out.
Interested in working collaboratively across disciplines to tackle complex and pressing global and societal problems?
The 14 Interdisciplinary Graduate Education Programs focus on a variety issues and provide ways to expand and enrich your education and research experience at Virginia Tech.
The Citizen Scholar program helps you connect your research to your community.
We offer a number of classes and programs that will expand your thinking and skill set, and help you prepare for the job market.
- Graduate Education Development Institute (GEDI)
- Graduate Academy of Teaching Excellence (VTGrATE)
- Preparing the Future Professoriate certificate
Communicating across boundaries
Our Center for Communicating Science offers classes that will help scientists from all fields (including social sciences) and backgrounds develop skills and techniques to communicate their work effectively to a variety of audiences.
To explore the full range of classes we offer through the graduate school, visit our course listings.
We want our graduate students to thrive. We offer a range of services and events aimed towards supporting students and building a vibrant and diverse community.
- Read Dean DePauw's Tips for Thriving in Graduate School.
- Health and Wellness ─ We offer subsidized medical insurance, on-campus health care facilties, free mental health counseling services, and recreational sports facilites.
- Spouses, Partners, Children ─ We support a number of childcare initiatives and provide work life grants for students expecting or adopting children in order to help new and established families balance home and work life needs.
- Visit the full list of the services we offer.
We provide opportunities for graduate students to get to know each other. These include:
- Book clubs
- Weekly GLC Café on Thursdays 3:30-5:00pm in the GLC Reading Room
- Semi-annual photo and art contests
- Multiple social events every semester
- "Connect" lunches that help you find peer groups across the graduate community
- The Graduate Education Week cook out, and more.
Check the weekly email for details. We send it out every Monday to all of our graduate students.
Pick up or drop off documents and other materials in person M-F 1:00-3:00pm, 120 GLC
Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown
155 Otey Street
Graduate School, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061