The Graduate School is pleased to announce the launch of the use of iThenticate to verify originality of documents prepared by VT graduate students and faculty as follows:
- Graduate students can use iThenticate to review their written materials (e.g., papers, article drafts, responses to qualifying or prelim exam prompts, drafts of thesis/dissertation)
- Faculty can use the software to review their written documents (e.g., articles, grant proposals)
- Graduate students and their advisors will be required to verify that the ETDs (electronic theses and dissertations) are appropriately written and cited beginning Summer I semester, 2018. Students are encouraged to use iThenticate to review drafts of their ETD prior to final submission.
Access to iThenticate is granted to graduate students and faculty effective immediately.
Videos to help access and use the tool
Although the tool isn’t difficult to use, it is very important that you view the videos about accessing and using the tool, and especially interpreting the similarity report.
1. To open an account, please click on this link.
2. Instructions on how to submit a paper for review, please click on this highlighted link
3. The webpage with information for reading a similarity report is located here.
As you will learn from the videos, the link to iThenticate can be found on the main Faculty and staff resources webpage under "Admission and Academic Process" on the Graduate School website, and here for your convenience.
The Graduate School and NLI are offering training sessions on the use of iThenticate.
For ETD submissions, the Graduate School will set the filters such that all pages before the abstract and references are excluded along with quotes. This will help in limiting the number of incidents flagged in the similarity report. The following steps are required for approval of the final examination and the ETD:
1. Students must run their ETD through iThenticate and the similarity report must be reviewed by the student and advisor prior to scheduling the final examination.
2. The final similarity report must be included in the submission of the ETD to the Graduate School. This report will be archived separately from the ETD.