Virginia Tech® home

In-State Tuition and Residency

Students who are Virginia residents do not automatically receive in-state tuition status when they enter a graduate program at Virginia Tech, even if they were undergraduate students at Virginia Tech paying as an in-state resident.  All applicants wishing to be considered for in-state tuition must submit the In-State Tuition Request form.

Current graduate students who wish to be considered for in-state rates should also submit the In-State Tuition Request form with all the necessary supporting documents.


You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or hold a certain visa, to be potentially eligible for in-state tuition rates.

You also must demonstrate an intent to establish domicile in Virginia. Domicile is a legal term that refers to a person’s fixed and unique place of residence where they intend to stay indefinitely. Physical presence primarily for educational purposes doesn’t establish domicile.

Make sure to submit clear and convincing evidence that Virginia is your state of domicile. We ask for a Virginia state tax return, a driver’s license, vehicle registration, and voter registration. You can also submit other documentation that shows social and economic ties to the state. Be aware that there is a one-calendar-year waiting period from the date the last act of domiciliary intent was completed before you can become eligible for in-state tuition rates.

Some students may be eligible for in-state tuition in other ways. If you’re an active-duty member of the military, a military spouse, or a veteran, you may also be eligible based on where you are stationed and/or where you currently reside. If you’re a dependent of your parents or guardians, you may be eligible based on their state of domicile. Review the eligibility regulations to learn more.

Remember to submit your in-state tuition application to the Graduate School by the first day of classes. Applications submitted after the first day of class for a term will be reviewed for eligibility for the subsequent term.

Out-of-State Waivers for Students with Assistantships

If you are an out-of-state student with an assistantship, you may receive a waiver of the out-of-state portion of your tuition. However, your out-of-state status will not be automatically changed. Non-Virginia residents are also charged a mandatory, non-refundable “capital and equipment fee.” Graduate assistants are encouraged to apply for in-state residency if they meet the eligibility requirements.

For more details about the out-of-state fee waiver, see Graduate Assistantships.