Outstanding Dissertation Award
The Graduate School presents two dissertation awards each year, one per category.
Winners receive a plaque and $1,000 for each category.
Category 1: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
Category 2: Social Science, Business, Education, Humanities
Note: The Graduate School may nominate winning dissertation for ProQuest/Council of Graduate Schools Distinguished Dissertation Award in years that subject area matches rotating fields of competition.
- Originality of idea
- Clarity and effectiveness of presentation
- Quality of writing
- Significance of the contribution to the field
- Dissertation must have been submitted and approved during calendar year 2020, or defended in fall 2020 and approved before the nomination deadline
- Only one nomination per department or interdisciplinary degree program
- Secured dissertations are not eligible
- Completed nomination form
- Double-spaced summary (maximum 2 pages) written by nominee so that reviewers outside the field can gain insight into contribution
- One-page nomination letter from major professor addressing all selection criteria and including nominee's current position, if applicable
- One-page support letter from a member of dissertation committee
- Curriculum vitae from nominee (maximum 2 pages)
To nominate a student, compile signed nomination form and all supporting documents on the checklist (in the above order) in a single PDF file. Upload this package through the following survey:
Deadline: January 29, 2021
For more information, contact 540-231-4558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (type GEW Awards in the subject line.)