Virginia Tech® home

Virginia Tech Students

Graduate students working with Steve Rowson on hockey helmet testing in the Virginia Tech Helmet Lab. The lab is about to release results on a four-star rated helmet and also a five-star helmet. Shown here is the four-star helmet.

Helmet Research


As a former or current Virginia Tech student you do not need to submit your Virginia Tech transcript during the application process. The Admissions team will pull a transcript for you from the Registrar's Office rather than you having to pay for a transcript to be sent to us. This transcript will also be shared with the department(s) to which you are applying.

Once admitted, we will not need a final official Virginia Tech transcript as we can verify your degree information with the Registrar's Office. The department to which you are accepted and enroll may ask for a final official Virginia Tech transcript. Please inquire with the department if a Virginia Tech transcript is needed for your department file.

If you have been enrolled as a graduate student at Virginia Tech within the past 10 years we will still have your student file on record. If you attended Virginia Tech as a graduate student more than 10 years ago we will need a transcript from any other institutions where a Bachelor or higher degree was earned, as your old file has been destroyed according to Virginia State Code Records Retention Policies. If you received a degree after your enrollment at Virginia Tech, you will need a transcript from that institution uploaded as it was not part of your original student file. Please upload a copy of any other institution transcripts with your online application. Should you be admitted and enroll, you will need to provide a final official transcript from the other institution(s).

In-state Tuition Requests

Students who are Virginia residents do not automatically receive in-state tuition status when they enter a graduate program at Virginia Tech, even if they were undergraduate students at Virginia Tech paying as an in-state resident.  All applicants wishing to be considered for in-state tuition must submit the In-State Tuition Request form.