This award recognizes up to three exemplary graduate students for their character, service and outstanding contributions, and academic achievements. Nominees must be graduate students in good standing (full- or part-time) and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Self-nominations are accepted.
Winners receive a certificate and $500.
- Involvement in professional organizations, campus activities, and/or the community
- Contribution to knowledge through research, teaching, and scholarship
- Evidence of living by the VT Principles of Community and Aspirations for Student Learning
- Demonstrated characteristics such as adaptability, charisma, competence, creativity, curiosity, generosity, humility, integrity, professionalism, reliability, responsibility, service-orientation, thoughtfulness, tolerance, trustworthiness.
- Nomination form
- Brief resume (no more than 3 pages) outlining nominee's experiences, achievements and contributions in the following areas:
- Presentations, performances, publications/installations
- Scholastic awards and recognitions
- Service and extracurricular involvement
- Essay: nominees should reflect on and describe how they live by the VT Principles of Community or Aspirations for Student Learning, or how some of the above characteristics describe them, in either a 2-page paper or a maximum 3-minute video.
- Two letters of reference (in sealed envelopes; limit to 2 pages per reference)
- One by an academic faculty member at Virginia Tech
- One from an individual who has personal knowledge of the candidate's character and involvements (e.g., administrator, supervisor, club advisor, etc.)
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit combined PDF files of nomination form, resume and essay to email@example.com; reference letters by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by campus mail to Graduate School 0325, Attn: Graduate Award, in a sealed envelope.
Deadline: January 29, 2018