Graduate Student of the Year Awards
This award recognizes up to two exemplary graduate students for their character, service and outstanding contributions, and academic achievements. Nominees must be graduate students in good standing (full- or part-time) and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Self-nominations are accepted.
Winners receive a certificate and $500.
- Involvement in professional organizations, campus activities, and/or the community
- Contribution to knowledge through research, teaching, and scholarship
- Evidence of living by the VT Principles of Community and Aspirations for Student Learning
- Demonstrated characteristics such as adaptability, charisma, competence, creativity, curiosity, generosity, humility, integrity, professionalism, reliability, responsibility, service-orientation, thoughtfulness, tolerance, trustworthiness.
- Completed Nomination form
- 2-page essay or max. 3-minute video by nominee, reflecting on how nominee lives by the VT Principles of Community and Aspirations for Student Learning, or embodies characteristics described in the award criteria.
- Two letters of reference (limit of 2 pages per reference)
- One by an academic faculty member at Virginia Tech
- One from an individual who has personal knowledge of the candidate's character and involvements (e.g., administrator, supervisor, club advisor, etc.)
- Resume (maximum 3 pages) outlining nominee's experiences, achievements and contributions in the following areas:
- Presentations, performances, publications/installations
- Scholastic awards and recognitions
- Service and extracurricular involvement
To nominate a student, compile signed nomination form and all supporting documents on the checklist (in the above order) in a single PDF file. Upload this package through the following survey:
Deadline: January 29, 2021
For more information, call 540-231-4558 or email email@example.com (type GEW Awards in the subject line.)