Graduate Student Service Excellence Award
The Graduate School presents one service award each year to honor students who demonstrate excellence in service internally or externally to the university. This award is sponsored by the Virginia Tech Alumni Association.
Winners receive a plaque and $1,000 honorarium.
- Should demonstrate innovation, creativity or a new kind of engagement
- Should be for "promoting the public good," in service internal or external to the university
- If service is internal to university, it must be separate and distinctly different from paid engagements in the student's home department or academic program
- If student is also an employee of VT, service must have been performed in primary role as student
- Service effort must have occurred during calendar year 2020 while nominee was in student status
- Completed nomination form
- Two letters of recommendation ( 2 pages maximum each) that address significance of the impact of service(s) performed:
- One from a supervisor of the services performed, if applicable; otherwise from a beneficiary of the service
- One from anyone in the community who has had an opportunity to observe the performance of the service
- One letter from the nominee describing the service, including the time and/or level of commitment required to complete nomination project(s) - maximum two pages.
To nominate a student, compile signed nomination form and all supporting documents on the checklist (in the above order) in a single PDF file. Upload this package through the following survey:
Deadline: January 29, 2021
For more information, contact 540-231-4558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (type GEW Awards in the subject line.)