Creating a bully free environment begins with the mindfulness of the leadership responsible for the rest of the group. There are a variety of actions you can take to create an environment that decreases the potential for bullying behaviors to negatively impact all of those within the environment.
Actions that you may be able to do in your peer group, club, professional group, department and/or college to help create a bully free environment include:
- Set expectations for conduct. Codes of conduct or ground rules for working together are effective tools for setting expectations. They also provide an easy way to intervene when individuals may be acting outside of the stated expectations.
- Provide adequate training. Communicating effectively and providing feedback that is constructive are skills that need continual refinement. Providing training in these areas can ensure that the environment is mindful of the importance of these skills.
- Conduct annual reviews. Conducting annual reviews or evaluations will take place can provide opportunities to reinforce awareness of academic bullying. You may also consider a 360 review process. This process allows you to assess performance from not only those that supervise, but also the peers and subordinates of those being evaluated. More information on 360 review processes available here.
- Listen and observe when complaints are made. If someone brings his or her concern to you, the first thing you need to do is listen. The experience the individual shares is real and you can listen without committing to action until a full understanding is developed. Following the interaction, observe to identify if there is concern that necessitates further action.
- Build trust through consistent, authentic, and transparent responses to complaints. Make sure your words are consistent with your actions. This will help build the trust for those in your environment to speak up when issues emerge.
- Increase awareness during the search/recruitment process. Technical expertise and academic accomplishments are important when filling a position. It is also important to assess interpersonal skills and leadership strategies when trying to create a bully free work environment.