Job Search Circles
The Graduate School, in collaboration with Career and Professional Development, hosts Job Search Circles to assist graduate students with their job search process and create a space for sharing resources and peer support.
In spring 2021, two job search circles are available for VT graduate students:
- Job Search Circle: Academia
- Job Search Circle: Industry/Government/NGO
By registering, graduate students commit to the following:
- Respect fellow members during discussions or while giving/receiving constructive feedback on their documents or process.
- Engage a fair amount during meetings as well as in-between meetings on Canvas; this is a participatory process that is most productive when everyone contributes to the conversation.
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality where expected, including in application materials and contact information.
Each cohort will have three circle meetings, one per month, and the ability to stay in contact with one another, ask questions, and share documents and resources on Canvas in between meetings. Monthly meetings are facilitated by professional staff from Career and Professional Development and/or the Graduate School.
Structure of the monthly meetings:
- Check-in with the whole cohort, create community, and identify where participants are in their job search process
- Enter break-out rooms that are most fitting for your current needs. Break out rooms will have different themes, including but not limited to document reviews, interview prep, networking advice, and more.
We will use Canvas to share resources and facilitate ongoing discussion among participants, providing:
- discussion board prompts weekly that can include
- general check-in (e.g. What hurdle are you experiencing this week?)
- specific questions or suggestions posed by participants of professional staff (i.e. job search tip of the week, or question about a job application or process)
- repository of resources, articles, and more to assist the cohort
- opportunity to request your peers’ review of your CV, LinkedIn, cover letter, or resume
- Tuesday, February 16, 12:00-1:00pm
- Tuesday, March 16, 12:00-1:00pm
- Tuesday, April 13, 12:00-1:00pm
- Thursday, February 11, 12:00-1:00pm
- Thursday, March 11, 12:00-1:00pm
- Thursday, April 8, 12:00-1:00pm
Please complete the registration form to indicate your interest in participating. By registering, you agree to have some of your information (as marked in the registration) shared with members of your job search circle.