A2i - Professional Development Series
for Doctoral Students Preparing for Industry
In 2020 Virginia Tech Graduate School joined A2i, an initiative of NC State, to enhance graduate and postdoctoral training for industry. In the first year we focus our efforts on implementing the Industry Jobs Search Strategies (IJSS) module that provides a series of seminars and workshops during the academic year. The Graduate School and Career and Professional Development work closely together, also involving graduate alumni in industry, to offer this program.
IJSS workshop topics may include but are not limited to:
- Panel discussion with graduate alumni working in industry on their experiencing with entering industry and charting their career
- Networking and harnessing the powers of LinkedIn
- Communication strategies
- Resume, CV, and cover letter writing
- Interviewing with confidence
- Salary and compensation negotiation
Doctoral students who have completed at least 30 credit hours or more of coursework and are interested in pursuing employment in industry.
- Be a doctoral student in good standing within 1-2 years of graduation
- Be interested in employment in industry
- Be willing to commit to participating in at least fours seminars/workshops in the course of a semester (fall or spring)
- Registered participants will be asked to complete two surveys a semester, one before they begin the program, and one after the conclusion of the last workshop
- improve their skills toward finding employment and succeeding in industry
- network with fellow doctoral students and graduate alumni, supporting each other in the job search process in a cohort model
- Be invited to IJSS opportunities, including industry connections, at other A2i schools
All workshops will be held by Zoom, with Zoom link to each shared with registrants for the specific event.
- Turning a CV into an Industry Resume - 1/28, 2:00-3:00pm
- A2i: Building a LinkedIn Profile for Industry - 2/9, 3:00-4:00pm
- Job Search Circle - 2/16, 3/16, 4/13, 12:00-1:00pm
- Interpreting Your MBTI Results - 2/23, 11:00am-12:00pm (must complete MBTI assessment in advance)
- Understanding and Communicating Your Strength (a Clifton Strengths workshop) - 2/26, 2:00-3:30pm
- Maximizing LinkedIn: Networking, Research, and Informational Interviewing - 3/3, 2:00-3:00pm
- Up Close and Personal: Panel Discussion with Grad Alumni in Industry - 3/26, 12:00-1:15pm with panelists:
- Alex Hyler, PhD/BMES, lead research scientist in CytoRecovery, Inc.
- Arnab Gupta, PhD/EM, senior research & development engineer, X-Wave Innovations, Inc.
- Matthew Bays, PhD/ME, research engineer, Naval Surface Warfare Center
- Meghna Verma, PhD/TBMH, systems modeling scientist, AstraZeneca
- Pardha Pyla, PhD/CSA, VP of product solutions & design, Fungible, Inc.
- Writing a Tailored Cover Letter for Industry - 3/29, 11:00am-12:00pm
- Interviewing with Confidence - 4/7, 4:00-5:00pm
- Turning a CV into an Industry Resume - 9/29, 2:00-3:00pm
- LinkedIn 101: Building a Profile for Industry - 10/7, 3:00-4:00pm
- Up Close and Personal: Panel Discussion with Grad Alumni in Industry
- Maximizing LinkedIn: Networking, Research & Informational Interviewing - Nov 2, 1:00-2:00pm
- Writing a Tailored Cover Letter for Industry - Nov 18, 2:00-3:00pm
- Interviewing with Confidence - Dec 3, 11:00am-12:00pm