A2i - Professional Development Series
for Doctoral Students Preparing for Industry
Accelerate to Industry, or A2i, is a professional development program dedicated to enhancing graduate and postdoctoral training for careers outside academia. Our current A2i programming offers a selection of Industry Job Search Strategy workshops, which are available to cohort members each semester. Topics include networking, resume and cover letter adaptation, interviewing and communication skills, offer negotiation, and more. Each semester we also host panel discussions with our VT Alumni Industry Mentors.
Cohort members who take advantage of these workshops can expect to:
- build and improve their skillsets to find employment and succeed in industry
- develop a support network of fellow doctoral students and graduate alumni in industry through a cohort model
- be invited to other Industry Job Search Strategies workshops and opportunities, including industry connection, at other A2i schools.
Please see below for details regarding cohort registration and workshop offerings.
If you would like to become an Industry Mentor, have suggestions for new workshops and opportunities, or would like to become involved, please contact Roxanne Winfield at email@example.com.
The Graduate School and Career and Professional Development work closely together, along with our alumni, to offer this program. A2i is an initiative of NC State.
Each cohort member must:
- Be a doctoral student, having completed at least 30 hours of coursework, in good standing within 1-2 years of graduation
- Be interested in exploring or pursuing employment in industry
- Be willing to commit to participating in at least four of the offered workshops in the course of a semester (fall or spring)
Registered participants will be asked to complete two surveys a semester, one before they begin the program, and one after the conclusion of the final workshop
At the beginning of each academic year, we send an email to all eligible doctoral students and offer them the opportunity to join an A2i cohort. Each year's cohort has access to workshops and opportunities offered throughout the year, and will receive notifications throughout the semester.
Our interactive and personalized workshops are offered exclusively to this year's cohort, and require individual registration to attend. For full event descriptions, registration, and zoom links, please see our Spring 2022 Workshop Schedule. For general topics, see below:
- Turning a CV into and Industry Resume
- Interviewing with Confidence
- Making Your "About Me" About You
- Mingle Like You Mean It (Collaboartion with CoGro)
- Cover Letters and Writing Skills
- Humanities Alumni Panel