Extension Request Procedures for J-1 Students

A J-1 student is eligible for program extension if he/she has continually maintained status by following all J-1 program requirements as described by the sponsor, the Department of State, and USCIS. The extension is granted only if:

  • the student has well documented academic or medical reasons for the delay;
  • it is supported by the academic department and approved by one of the Immigration Advisors/Responsible Officers at the Graduate School;
  • the request and supporting documents are submitted at least 30 days before the expiration of the DS-2019 form. 

Extensions are usually granted one semester at a time; if warranted, an extension for up to one year may be approved.


Please follow the steps below:

  1. Complete the Request for DS-2019.
  2. Attach a copy of your current DS-2019 form.
  3. Provide an original personal bank statement, or an original affidavit of support and original bank statement for a sponsor, assistantship contract or other original, official financial certification showing sufficient funding for the requested extension period.
  4. Obtain a letter from your academic advisor, signed and on departmental letterhead, telling us exactly why you need additional time to complete degree requirements, describing your plan for degree completion, and giving us the new completion date for your degree (MM/DD/YYYY).
  5. Submit all of the required documents to IGSS in the Graduate Life Center so that a new DS-2019 form can be issued.
  6. Your extension request will be documented in SEVIS and a new DS-2019 form issued.


DO NOT throw away any of your old IAP-66 or DS-2019 forms since you may need  them in the future if you want to change your immigration status.