Academic Training Application

J-1 students who are in good academic standing and maintaining status may be eligible to apply for academic (practical) training.

Affidavit of Support

International students who are using outside resources to fund their tuition (i.e. not using personal funds, graduate assistantship, or government/corporate sponsorship) are required to submit this form. It can be completed by parents, relatives or sponsors to indicate that they will be providing financial support for the student’s educational and living expenses. An original bank statement must accompany the affidavit form, showing the amount of funds available.

Alternative Insurance Compliance Form

F-1 and J-1 students at Virginia Tech (and their dependents) are required by university policy to have valid health and accident insurance. Students choosing an alternative insurance company (i.e. a plan not affiliated with or sponsored by the university) must present this form completed and signed to the Student Medical Insurance Office.

Certification of Enrollment Request

If entities from home countries, such as banks, scholarship agencies or military service organizations require verification of enrollment at a U.S. school, use this form. Cost information is only valid for one academic year.

If U.S. agencies request an enrollment certification, requests must be directed to the University Registrar's office. This department provides the only official university academic enrollment certification.

Change of address (report in Hokie SPA)

F-1 and J-1 students must report all changes of their physical address in the U.S. within 10 days of the change. Starting September 25, 2017, address changes must be updated in Hokie SPA according to the following standards:

  • Enter your U.S. residential address as your Mailing Address (MA): 
    • Enter your street address in <Address Line 1> without using any commas or period
    • Enter your apartment number or letter, if any,  in <Address Line 2> without using any commas or period
    • Do not put anything into  <Address Line 3>
    • Enter your city, state and ZIP code in the appropriate fields
    • Leave county and nation fields blank
    • Enter your US phone number (cell phone or landline) in the <Primary Phone Number for This Address> field, entering the 3-digit area code in the <Area Code> field, and the 7-digit number in the <phone number> field
  • If you live in a residence hall on campus, you do not need to do anything; your address will be entered by the Housing Office.

Address updates will be reported to SEVIS through a daily data feed each time you update your address in Hokie SPA.

CPT Application

F-1 international students who are in good standing and  have completed two semesters at Virginia Tech are eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), also known as Cooperative Education or Co-op. CPT is a unique opportunity for graduate students to gain valuable on-the-job experience to enhance their academic training while pursuing a degree program.

Below are the forms needed to complete the CPT application:

Dependent I-20 Request

F-1 students use this form to request an I-20 form for a dependent: a spouse, partner or child.

Current funding documentation must be provided, and the student should be able to show available funds for their own educational expenses, plus additional funds to support their spouse, partner or child (i.e. $5,750 for a spouse/partner and $2,750 for per child). The student is also required to provide health insurance for the dependents during their time as a student at Virginia Tech.

F-2 dependents may not enroll in a course of study or a degree program. If dependents wish to pursue an academic program, they must apply for and be approved for a change of status to F-1 before enrolling.

DS-2019 Request

J-1 students use this form when requesting a new DS-2019, submitting a program extension, changing major or academic level, adding dependents, or replacing a lost DS-2019.

I-20 Request

F-1 students can request an I-20 for the following reasons: submitting a program extension, changing majors or academic levels, changing status, reinstatement, or replacing a lost I-20.

Immigration Information Form

All new international students are required to submit this form. It collects critical information for immigration form issuance. Original funding documents are needed, not copies (with an exception made in the case of a graduate assistantship contract). Please be sure to attach all of the required   

OPT Application

F-1 students who are in good standing and have been enrolled at Virginia Tech for at least 9 months are eligible to apply for optional practical training (OPT), which is a temporary employment authorization in their major field of study for purposes of gaining practical experience. Students may receive twelve months of practical training for each higher academic level (bachelor's, master's and doctorate).

Below are the forms necessary for OPT:

OPT Extension Application

  • Use this form to request the STEM OPT or Cap-Gap extension.

OPT STEM 6, 12 and 18 Month Validation Report

  • Students on the STEM extension must submit this form to validate their employment at the 6, 12 and 18 month mark. 

Reduced Enrollment Request

F-1 or J-1 international students use this form to request an approval to enroll for less than full time hours. There are only two exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement for international students:

  1. There are only a few credit hours left to complete Plan of Study requirements in the student’s final semester.
  2. The student is requesting reduced enrollment hours due to medical concerns. Academic relief paperwork from Schiffert Health Center must be submitted to IGSS in addition to the reduced enrollment request form.

Submit the completed and signed form to IGSS before the beginning of the semester in which reduced enrollment has been requested. 

Transfer In Form

International graduate students will use this form if they are transferring to Virginia Tech from another school in the United States (regardless if they graduated or not from their previous institution).

Transfer Out Form

International students requesting a release of their SEVIS records should use this form if they are transferring out from Virginia Tech to another school in the United States (regardless if they graduated or not from Virginia Tech).