J-1 students who are in good academic standing and maintaining status may be eligible to apply for academic (practical) training.
International students who are using outside resources to fund their tuition (i.e. not using personal funds, graduate assistantship, or government/corporate sponsorship) are required to submit this form. It can be completed by parents, relatives or sponsors to indicate that they will be providing financial support for the student’s educational and living expenses. An original bank statement must accompany the affidavit form, showing the amount of funds available.
F-1 and J-1 students at Virginia Tech (and their dependents) are required by university policy to have valid health and accident insurance. Students choosing an alternative insurance company (i.e. a plan not affiliated with or sponsored by the university) must present this form completed and signed to the Student Medical Insurance Office.
If entities from home countries, such as banks, scholarship agencies or military service organizations require verification of enrollment at a U.S. school, use this form. Cost information is only valid for one academic year.
If U.S. agencies request an enrollment certification, requests must be directed to the University Registrar's office. This department provides the only official university academic enrollment certification.
F-1 and J-1 students must report all changes of their physical address in the U.S. within 10 days of the change. Starting September 25, 2017, address changes must be updated in Hokie SPA according to the following standards:
- Enter your U.S. residential address as your Mailing Address (MA):
- Enter your street address in <Address Line 1> without using any commas or period
- Enter your apartment number or letter, if any, in <Address Line 2> without using any commas or period
- Do not put anything into <Address Line 3>
- Enter your city, state and ZIP code in the appropriate fields
- Leave county and nation fields blank
- Enter your US phone number (cell phone or landline) in the <Primary Phone Number for This Address> field, entering the 3-digit area code in the <Area Code> field, and the 7-digit number in the <phone number> field
- If you live in a residence hall on campus, you do not need to do anything; your address will be entered by the Housing Office.
Address updates will be reported to SEVIS through a daily data feed each time you update your address in Hokie SPA.
F-1 international students who are in good standing and have completed two semesters at Virginia Tech are eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), also known as Cooperative Education or Co-op. CPT is a unique opportunity for graduate students to gain valuable on-the-job experience to enhance their academic training while pursuing a degree program.
Below are the forms needed to complete the CPT application:
F-1 students use this form to request an I-20 form for a dependent: a spouse, partner or child.
Current funding documentation must be provided, and the student should be able to show available funds for their own educational expenses, plus additional funds to support their spouse, partner or child (i.e. $5,750 for a spouse/partner and $2,750 for per child). The student is also required to provide health insurance for the dependents during their time as a student at Virginia Tech.
F-2 dependents may not enroll in a course of study or a degree program. If dependents wish to pursue an academic program, they must apply for and be approved for a change of status to F-1 before enrolling.
J-1 students use this form when requesting a new DS-2019, submitting a program extension, changing major or academic level, adding dependents, or replacing a lost DS-2019.
F-1 students can request an I-20 for the following reasons: submitting a program extension, changing majors or academic levels, changing status, reinstatement, or replacing a lost I-20.
All new international students are required to submit this form. It collects critical information for immigration form issuance. Original funding documents are needed, not copies (with an exception made in the case of a graduate assistantship contract). Please be sure to attach all of the required http://graduateschool.vt.edu/content/dam/graduateschool_vt_edu/igss-forms/OPT_documents.
Students in F1 status may be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which provides 12 months of work authorization. Information about OPT, a checklist of documents required for requesting OPT, and links to forms can be found at optional practical training (OPT)
- Use this form to request the STEM OPT or Cap-Gap extension. The Graduate School does not process STEM OPT applications for students who have not completed a Virginia Tech graduate degree.
- Allow at least three weeks for IGSS processing.
- Students on the STEM extension must submit this form to validate their employment at the 6, 12 and 18 month mark.
Reduced Enrollment Request
F-1 or J-1 international students must request approval to enroll for less than full time hours; select the reason and use the appropriate form accordingly:
- Student is in final semester with less than 9 credit hours left to complete Plan of Study requirements.
- Student is requesting reduced enrollment hours due to medical concerns. Academic relief paperwork from Schiffert Health Center or Cook Counseling Center must accompany the reduced enrollment request form.
Submit the completed and signed form to IGSS before the beginning of the semester in which reduced enrollment is requested.
International graduate students will use this form if they are transferring to Virginia Tech from another school in the United States (regardless if they graduated or not from their previous institution).
International students requesting a release of their SEVIS records should use this form if they are transferring out from Virginia Tech to another school in the United States (regardless if they graduated or not from Virginia Tech).