24-month Stem OPT Extension - Eligibility Requirements
- Must be currently in a period of initial 12-month post-completion OPT working for a U.S. employer in field of study.
- Must be maintaining status while in the period of 12-month post-completion OPT. This includes meeting all reporting requirements and not have been unemployed for more than 90 days.
- Must have completed the Virginia Tech degree based on which the original OPT was granted.
- Must have earned a STEM degree for Bachelor’s or higher from a SEVP approved U.S. school. Eligible degree program and CIP code is listed on page 1 of the I-20.
- Cannot have already had two previous STEM OPT extension authorizations.
- Must have employment or job offer with an employer registered with the E-Verify employment verification system in a full-time (20+ hours per week) paid position.
- Cannot be self-employed or placed with a temporary employment agency. The employer that signs the I-983 must be the same employer providing the practical training.
- The training must be paid employment.