24-month STEM OPT Extension - After Application is Approved

Students on STEM OPT have strict responsibilities to report the following:

• Address changes
  • Approval of STEM OPT
  • Every 6 month employment validations
  • Material Changes to Current Employment
  • Change in Employer or Becoming Unemployed
  • Completion of STEM OPT

Log in to IntlHokies to report updates or make changes in employment;   select F-1 Practical Training, and double click 24-month STEM OPT Extension

If you are traveling while on STEM OPT and you need a new travel signature, request an I-20 reprint: 

• Go to the IntlHokies portal
  • From the Main Menu, choose F-1 Student Services
  • Choose I-20 Reprint and indicate the option relevant to you
  • Choose the method of receiving the I-20; if you select expedited shipping, you will have to make shipping arrangements in IntlHokies under F-1 Student Services, eShip Global. 

Address changes must be reported within 10 days of the change.  Both the SEVP portal and HokieSpa must be updated with the address change(s).

Complete the EAD upload and I-20 Reprint e-form under the Report Approved 24-month STEM OPT category and submit with uploaded copy of EAD, I-20 Re-prints can be requested at that time.

Verification of certain personal information and employment is required every 6 months during the 24-month STEM OPT period to maintain employment eligibility.  To verify this information, it must be reported to IGSS at 6 months, 12 months, and 18 months from the start of the STEM OPT period. Failure to submit validations may result in termination of the I-20 and loss of F1 status.

Select from the EMPLOYMENT VALIDATION REPORTS:

·         At 6 months on STEM OPT - Complete and submit  the 6-month Validation Report

·         At 12 months on STEM OPT – Complete and submit the 12-month Validation Report and the self-evaluation from page 5 of your I-983

·         At 18 months on STEM OPT - Complete and submit  the 18-month Validation Report

A newly completed and signed I-983 is required when you are reporting changes to current employment.  

Select Changes/Updates to Current Employment from the STEM OPT EMPLOYMENT UPDATES category.

The types of changes include, but may not be limited to:

·         Change of employer name and/or EIN

·         Change in work hours

·         Change in compensation/wages

·         Change(s) to learning objectives

·         Change of worksite location

New employment must be reported to IGSS; it cannot be updated in the SEVP portal.  An updated I-20 will be issued when IGSS has completed processing the change of employer.

Select Change(s) to Employment Status under the STEM OPT EMPLOYMENT UPDATES category.  

Required Information/documents:

·         Employment end date: Direct notification to IGSS from the previous employer within 5 business days

·         Final self-evaluation on page 5 of the I-983 form regarding employment that is ending

·         Completed I-983 from new employer

Any periods of unemployment must be reported.

Select Change(s) to Employment Status under the STEM OPT EMPLOYMENT UPDATES category.

The end of STEM OPT must be reported and a Final Self Evaluation must be submitted if any of the following occur:

·         The 24 month extension period has ended

·         Leaving the U.S. and abandoning OPT

·         Beginning a new program of study

·         Changing to another immigration status (ex. H1B)

Select Report STEM OPT has ended under the COMPLETION OF STEM OPT EXTENSION category.