24-month Stem OPT Extension - How to Apply

The completed STEM OPT application must be received by USCIS before the expiration of the 12-month OPT EAD, but no earlier than 90 days before the expiration of the EAD.  Allow 3 weeks for IGSS to prepare and mail the new I-20.

The following documents will be provided to IGSS :

Login to IntlHokies, select F-1 Practical Training, the double click 24-month STEM OPT Extension              

• Complete and submit the 24-month STEM OPT Request E-form and upload a copy of your completed I-983 and I-765 forms and (if required) a copy of STEM degree diploma or transcript
  • Complete and submit Shipping/Pickup of I-20 E-form

You will be emailed when the STEM OPT I-20 has been prepared.  The new I-20 will show the recommended STEM OPT on page 2.  Upon receipt of the new I-20, you should review, sign, and date it.  Applications must be submitted to USCIS within 60 days of the date of the DSO signature on page 1 of the I-20 and before the current OPT expires.

• Completed G-1145 to receive an email or text message when USCIS receives the application.  (This optional, but highly recommended)
  • 2 passport photos taken within the last 30 days – see photo requirements
  • One form of payment only for the amount of $410:
  • a.      Credit Card Payment – complete form G-1450
  • b.      Check or Money Order – made out to “US Department of Homeland Security.  Student’s name should be printed in the top left corner of the check
  • Completed, signed, and dated I-765
  •  Copy of current OPT EAD and any previous EADs
  • Copy of STEM OPT I-20 (I-20 must be signed by the student)
  • Copies of all previous I-20s (page 1 and the travel signature page)
  • Copy of current passport & any previous passports demographic page and F-1 visa page
  • Print out of most recent I-94
  • Proof of degree completion (Copy of Diploma and/or Transcript)
  • Other supporting documents as indicated on page 7 of the Form I-765

Refer to the USCIS “Direct Filing Addresses” website for information on where to mail the application packet.  Location is based on residential address.  A shipping method that provides tracking is recommended.