Student-initiated Fellowships and Scholarships
External fellowships and scholarships are an important potential source of financial support for graduate students. Pursuing and acquiring grant funding also provides valuable professional development experiences.
We share the resources below to assist students with various aspects of securing external funding.
The Graduate School regularly receives announcements about funding opportunities; we share these with a link to more information and application deadline, if known. Check the listing from time to time for updates.
|National Center for Professional and Research Ethics Post-Doc||open until filled|
- American Association of University Women – American Fellowship – for women scholars. Application open Aug-Nov.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs – pre-doctoral, dissertation and post-doctoral fellowships for students committed to a career in teaching and research at college/university level. Application deadline in December. Results announced in March.
- Funding Institutional, a single-source workflow tool containing data on funders, funding opportunities and awarded grants, drawn from a wide range of governmental and private sources, is made available to the VT community by the Office for Research and Innovation.
- GEM Fellowship – for students from underrepresented communities to pursue graduate education in applied science and engineering. Application open spring-November
- Graduate Fellowships for STEM Diversity - for graduate students in designated STEM fields. Application open Aug-Dec.
- Grants.gov provides a centralized location for grant seekers to find and apply for federal funding opportunities.
- The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine fellowships and grants
- NIH programs for graduate students
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program – for graduate students in NSF-supported STEM disciplines who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees. Application open Aug-Oct. Results announced in April.
- NSF database of funding opportunities
- Southern Regional Education Board -State Doctoral Scholars Program – for doctoral students Application deadline: March.
- Spencer Foundation – research grants and dissertation fellowships
- UCLA's Fellowship Database offers a searchable list of external fellowship opportunities
The Graduate School serves as the coordinating office for several external fellowships and scholarships, such as GEM, NSF GRFP, Packard, Ford, and many others. If you have questions about how your fellowship will be managed, email email@example.com for assistance.
Fellowship and scholarship recipients are expected to be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours each for the Fall and Spring semesters, unless the funding agency specifies otherwise.
Policy 3400 outlines protocols for awarding and managing scholarships and similar awards (fellowships) held by the Virginia Tech Foundation. Technical assistance (for department coordinators) is available from the Foundation or the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid (USFA).