Tuition Support for Inbound Fulbright Graduate Students
By providing up to 5 in-state tuition scholarships annually and out-of-state tuition waivers for the full degree program, the Graduate School supports the enrollment of Fulbright students to (1) increase the diversity of the graduate student body at the program and/or university level (2) encourage the enrollment of externally-funded students at Virginia Tech, and (3) allow students and departments to get to know one another in the first year of study while identifying other source(s) of funding for subsequent years.
- Must be admitted into a graduate degree program under Fulbright program sponsorship (DS-2019 form issued by IIE, LASPAU or other Fulbright organization or affiliate)
- Maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or above (on a 4-point scale)
- Enroll in 12-18 credit hours in fall and spring semesters. Summer enrollment is not required.
Financial support from the Graduate School:
- Out-of-state tuition waiver each semester for all Fulbright students as long as they remain under Fulbright program sponsorship
- Up to five in-state tuition scholarships to select Fulbright students, covering the in-state tuition and applicable program fee for the fall and spring semesters. The in-state tuition award is valid for one year and is not transferable, nor renewable. Award decisions are made in spring (March-May) for students starting in August, based on:
- Strong departmental support
- Priority identified by Fulbright
- Student’s program objective and country of origin (only one scholarship may be offered per program)
- Academic departments may request the one-year in-state tuition scholarship by completing the Fulbright Support Request Form between November 1 and May 15. Only one in-state tuition scholarship may be offered per department/program.
- In the request include:
- Applicant’s name
- Degree and level of the applicant
- Department contact
- Explanation of the department's interest in recruiting the student and potential departmental support beyond the first year
- Award decisions are made in one or two rounds between March and May.
- Students can be re-nominated if they were not selected for a previous academic year.
- Fulbright students are not subject to the university health insurance requirement, though they may purchase the university-endorsed student insurance plan. The Student Medical Insurance Office is unable to bill Fulbright directly for the insurance.
- For more information email email@example.com