A conversation about graduate education
Drawing on Virginia Tech Graduate School’s Transformative Graduate Education (TGE) initiative and the award-winning Graduate Life Center as a backdrop and model, attendees are invited to join the conversation about the places, spaces, services, and collaborations it takes to support the unique needs of graduate students.
Through case studies, panel discussions and the sharing of best practices, attendees can add to their skillset, learn from one another, and leave inspired with a plan of action.
Topics will include
- The role of the Graduate School/Graduate College
- Partnerships and collaborations (student affairs, student organizations, academic affairs and more)
- Services and programming for and with graduate students:
- Creating traditions
- Responding to shifting demographics: Incorporating best practices for diversity and inclusion
- Building community
- Supporting career pathways within and outside academe
- Spaces that support graduate community:
- Physical infrastructure
- Accessibility, atmosphere, culture
- Timely issues:
- Academic bullying
- Food insecurity
- Mental health and resilience
- Social media use
- Additional workshops by request (sample topics: holistic admissions, interdisciplinary graduate education, global perspectives, engaging graduate alumni)
- Registration fee: $75, including four meals (6/12-D; 6/13 B, L; 6/14-B)
- Reserve housing in the GLC (as part of your registration), or by calling any local hotel of your choice
- Review the list of sessions and tentative schedule
- Register now!
The program will also include a showcase of Virginia Tech’s programs and services for graduate students as well as tours of the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown and the Little Hokie Hangout cooperative play group, a subsidized care program targeted for graduate student families.
- Graduate school administrators (Deans, Associate Deans, Directors) and members of the Council of Graduate Schools
- Members of NASPA’s Administrators in Graduate and Professional Student Services knowledge community
- Student Affairs professionals engaged in various aspects of graduate student services
- ACUI members
- June 12, 2018: Dinner and welcome
- June 13, 2018: Plenary and break-out sessions and GLC/LHH tours
- June 14, 2014: Breakfast and closing program