A student during a Virginia Tech Graduate School commencement

Graduate students may request a name change in the following ways:

1. Students may stop by the Graduate School and complete a Graduate Student Name Change form. Please bring a picture I.D. and legal documentation of the new name.

2. Students may write a letter of request to the address listed below. Please note that the letter should include specific instructions and notarized legal documentation.

Graduate School
Name Change Request
Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown, Mail Code 0325
Blacksburg, VA 24061

The following is a list of important information that should be included in your request:

  • Complete old name
  • Complete new name
  • Social Security number and/or student identification number
  • Dates of attendance at Virginia Tech
  • Return address
  • Daytime telephone number and/or e-mail address
  • Complete legal signature reflecting full name

Legal Documentation
In order to process a name change, our office requires legal documentation reflecting your new name. Please provide a copy of your corrected Social Security card and, if applicable, a copy of one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court Order
  • Naturalization Papers