About the Summit
Virginia Tech collaborates with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to explore research partnerships.
This annual research summit offers the opportunity for faculty from Virginia Tech to identify partner faculty and students at HBCUs/MSIs to engage in summer research opportunities and grant proposals.
Virginia Tech faculty members interested in growing collaborations with HBCUs/MSIs are encouraged to reach out to their College contact for participation. You can find a list of the college liaisons via this link.
For those who have received an invitation to attend the event, please use this link to register before September 7.
The 2018 HBCU/MSI Research Summit is scheduled for October 14-15 at the The Inn at Virginia Tech
Sunday, October 14
- 3-4 p.m. HBCU/MSI Guests Arrive — Inn at Virginia Tech
- Hotel check-in by 4 p.m.
- Registration: Please come by the registration table at the Inn at Virginia Tech before 4:30 p.m.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. Panel discussions and poster session
- Poster session:
- Research poster presentations, main concourse, Inn at Virginia Tech
- Faculty Track
- Panel: Faculty research partnerships across institutions
- Panel: Inter-institutional partnerships — Establishing a memorandum of understanding
- Student Track
- Panel: HBCU/MSI Alumni students at Virginia Tech: Current graduate students discuss their experiences
- Poster Session: Virginia Tech Graduate Student Research Posters
- 6-8 p.m. Dinner, Latham Ballroom, the Inn at Virginia Tech
Monday, October 15
- 8-9 a.m. Breakfast and Admissions Workshop hosted by The Graduate School Office of Recruitment Inclusion and Diversity at The Inn at Virginia Tech
- 9 a.m. Check out of hotel rooms, store luggage with hotel staff
- 9:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. College and Department visits; lunch hosted by Colleges