About the Summit
Virginia Tech collaborates with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to explore research partnerships.
This annual research summit offers the opportunity for faculty from Virginia Tech to identify partner faculty and students at HBCUs/MSIs to engage in summer research opportunities and grant proposals.
Virginia Tech faculty members interested in growing collaborations with HBCUs/MSIs are encouraged to reach out to their College contact for participation. You can find a list of the college liaisons via this link.
The planning committee already is working on programming for the next research summit.
The 2018 HBCU/MSI Research Summit is scheduled for October 14-15 at the The Inn at Virginia Tech
Sunday, October 14
- 2-4 p.m. HBCU/MSI Guests Arrive — Inn at Virginia Tech
- Hotel check-in by 4 p.m.
- Registration: Please come by the registration table at the Inn at Virginia Tech before 4:30 p.m.
- 2-4 p.m. Campus Tours will be available, leaving from hotel lobby at 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. Get to Know VT!
- Panel: HBCU/MSI Alumni Students at Virginia Tech: Current Virginia Tech graduate students discuss their experiences
- Panel: TBD
- Poster Session: VT Graduate Student Research Posters
- Tables: VT Graduate Student Organizations
- 6-8 p.m. Dinner, Latham Ballroom, the Inn at Virginia Tech
- 8-9:30 p.m. Mixer/reception, Location TBD
Monday, October 15
- 8-9 a.m. Breakfast and Admissions Workshop hosted by The Graduate School Office of Recruitment Inclusion and Diversity
- 9 a.m. Check out of hotel rooms, store luggage with hotel staff
- 9:30 a.m.-12:30p.m. College and Department Visits
- 1-2 p.m. Lunch, hosted by Colleges