Building Graduate Community and a Culture of Inclusion
June 19-20, 2019
Program to start at 10:00am on June 19 with welcome and introductions, followed by a keynote at 10:30am; conference to conclude at about 3:00pm on June 20.
- Registration fee: $110, including lunch and reception on June 19 and breakfast and lunch on June 20, and free on-campus parking
- Complete the registration survey and pay the registration fee when prompted. Email confirmation of registration will be sent by the conference organizers when registration is processed. Email confirmation of payment will come from email@example.com.
Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown, Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus; 155 Otey St NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061
About the conference:
- Topics will include:
- Karen DePauw as keynote speaker on June 19 and panel discussion with Maria Dykema Erb, Johnna Frierson, and Jeremiah Nelson on June 20.
- Concurrent sessions on mentoring; A2i and other professional development approaches; best practices for building inclusive and diverse graduate communities; international student services; student voices; and more.
- Expect to be asked to introduce yourself and share ideas with fellow attendees.
- Bring your business cards and flyers and materials about best practices and initiatives you are willing to share.
- Appropriate clothing: business casual or casual, according to your preference. Please note the temperature control in the GLC is limited; it's a good idea to have layers to add or remove in response to unpredictably warmer or colder temperatures in our meeting spaces.
- Coffee/tea and snacks will be provided throughout the conference.
This drive-in conference is hosted by the Graduate School at Virginia Tech and co-sponsored by UNC Charlotte and Appalachian State University.
- The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center; 540-231-8000; 15-minute walk or 5-minute drive from the GLC
- The Main Street Inn; 205 South Main Street; Blacksburg, VA; 540-552-6246; 5-minute walk from the GLC