A student in F-1 or J-1 status may transfer to a different school before or after completion of a program at the current school. To be eligible for transfer a student must maintain status at all times and follow the transfer procedures as prescribed by USCIS and Department of State.
Steps to follow when applying for transfer:
- Apply to and be accepted by the school to which you wish to transfer.
- Inform the international office of the school you are currently attending of your intention to transfer .
- Contact the new school to determine the documents required by the international student office so a new I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued for you.
Transferring to Virginia Tech
- Once you are accepted by Virginia Tech and submitted appropriate Immigration Information Form and all required documents, you will need to complete the SEVIS Transfer Information Form. The international student advisor at your current school will also have to sign this form.
- Submit the completed and signed SEVIS Transfer Information Form to the IGSS in the Graduate School.
- Your SEVIS record will be released by your current school and our office will issue you a new I-20 or DS-2019 as appropriate.
- Your new form will indicate that your transfer is pending.
- Your transfer will be considered complete after you report to our office, enroll in classes and we issue you a new form indicating that you have completed the transfer. Please note that you MAY NOT work at Virginia Tech until you have completed the transfer and been issued a new form indicating the completion of transfer (="Continued attendance" on the first page, "transfer completed" notation on the second page)
Transferring from Virginia Tech
- Once you are accepted by another school, complete the request form for transfer out, attach a copy of the admission letter from the school to which you want to transfer, along with a copy of your current I-20 or DS-2019 form, and submit it to IGSS. This will facilitate the release of your SEVIS record to your new school.
- After we receive the completed form from you, we will review your records to make sure that you are eligible to transfer. If yes, we will release your record to the other school, indicating a transfer release date that is usually the day after the end of the last semester in which you are enrolled at Virginia Tech.
- Your new school will issue you an I-20/DS-2019 as appropriate.
- You will complete the transfer procedures by reporting to and enrolling at the new school.
Talk with an immigration advisor:
Phone: +1 (540) 231-8486
Fax: +1 (540) 231-3714
International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center
155 Otey St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Walk-in Advising Hours
Monday Wednesday & Friday
1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.