University policy requires that international students in F-1 status and their accompanying F-2 dependents have valid health and accident insurance during their stay at Virginia Tech. All international students and their accompanying dependents must purchase health and accident insurance coverage before they can enroll at Virginia Tech.
Students are free to select a policy or insurer of their choice as long as the coverage meets or exceeds minimum university requirements. Minimum insurance policy requirements are as follows:
- Adequate provider care within a 50 mile radius of campus of enrollment
- Deductible of no more than $500 per accident or illness
- Major medical benefits of at least $500,000 per insured per policy year
- Repatriation and medical evacuation coverage to home country at no less than $10,000
- Pregnancy, childbirth and complications of pregnancy must be treated as any other illness under the policy
- Prescription coverage of no less than $500,000 per insured per policy year
- Mental health care (in- and outpatient) covered as any other illness
- No pre-existing condition exclusions or waiting period
- No limits or internal dollar caps on coverage, including services, treatment or surgery
- Coverage is valid for one year from Aug 1 or first day of enrollment in school, and effective through the following July 31 or last day of the month of the student's graduation
Students are encouraged to purchase the university sponsored insurance plan. New and continuing students must have their insurance coverage established or verified by the Student Medical Insurance Office before they can register for classes. Students choosing an insurance plan other than the university sponsored plan must present a completed and signed/certified Alternative Insurance Compliance Form to the Student Medical Insurance Office in 110 Student Services Building.
Insurance Requirements for J-1 Students and Accompanying J-2 Dependents
All J-1 students as well as their accompanying dependents must have insurance in effect that covers them for sickness or accidents during the time of their exchange visitor program:
- Major medical benefits per accident or illness: $100,000 (formerly $50,000)
- Medical evacuation: $50,000 (formerly $10,000)
- Repatriation of remains to home country: $25,000 (formerly $7,500)
- Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coinsurance not to exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
For further information you can contact the Student Medical Insurance Office:
540/231-6226 or 540/231-6303
Proof of insurance must be provided by all international students at the beginning of each academic year.
Talk with an immigration advisor:
Phone: +1 (540) 231-8486
Fax: +1 (540) 231-3714
International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center
155 Otey St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Walk-in Advising Hours
Monday Wednesday & Friday
1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.