What is SEVIS?
SEVIS is an Internet-based system, which maintains current academic and immigration information on non-immigrant students (F/J visas) and their dependents. SEVIS enables schools to transmit electronic information and event notifications, via the Internet, to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Department of State (embassies and consulates) throughout a student's stay in the U.S.
What data does SEVIS collect?
- Whether a student enrolled or failed to enroll in classes (each semester)
- All changes in the student's (or their dependent's) legal name or address (in the U.S. and abroad)
- Whether a student drops below full time enrollment
- Changes of major or academic level
- Program extensions
- Premature termination of study (including absence from the U.S. for more than 5 months) - date and reason
- Employment authorizations (Curricular or Optional Practical Training)
- School transfers
- Academic or disciplinary actions taken due to criminal conviction
- Information regarding any student who fails to maintain status or complete their program
Talk with an immigration advisor:
Phone: +1 (540) 231-8486
Fax: +1 (540) 231-3714
International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center
155 Otey St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Walk-in Advising Hours
Monday Wednesday & Friday
1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.