International students who are or will be in F-1 or J-1 visa status are required to show proof of adequate funding for at least one year before an I-20 or DS-2019 form can be issued. Financial requirements are calculated on the basis of tuition and fees for two semesters, living expenses, and miscellaneous expenses. 

Annual funding requirements:

  • 2017-18:   $45,700 for architecture and engineering; $44,600 for all other majors
  • $5,750 is added for accompanying spouses
  • $2,750 is added for each accompanying child

Students must submit the Immigration Information Form along with appropriate attachments to show proof of funding.

Blacksburg students

Tuition and fees:

Room and Board (12 months):

Miscellaneous expenses (books, laundry, clothes, insurance, etc):


29,200.00 *^




* All amounts are subject to change. Additional program fees may apply.
^ MBA students are required to pay a $3,900 fee every year in addition to the tuition and fee costs. Amount subject to change.

Refer to the Bursar's Office webpage for up to date and detailed information on tuition and fees and campus housing and dining charges.

Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine international student immigration paperwork for DVM students is being handled through the Graduate School. The minimum funding requirements are shown below:

DVM students (years 1-3)

Tuition and fees:

Room and board (12 months):

Miscellaneous expenses:

Health insurance (estimated):







DVM Students (year 4)

Tuition and fees:

Room and Board:

Miscellaneous expenses:

Health insurance (estimated):







International students are eligible for graduate assistantships, which are generally awarded by academic departments based on the students' academic merit, experience, and availability of funds. Some departments are able to offer more assistantships, others don't have any at all. Contact the individual academic departments to find out their policy for awarding assistantships.

You can calculate the value of the assistantship by multiplying the monthly stipend by the number of months in your contract (4.5, 9 or 12), and add this amount to the tuition remission (in-state tuition scholarship) and out of state waiver for each semester, and add $2097 for the value of the health insurance subsidy that covers 90% of your health insurance costs. If that brings the total to $44,600-$45,700 or more, no further financial certification is necessary.

A limited number of on-campus hourly wage jobs are available for students. International students are limited to 20 hours of work per week by immigration regulations. Students may apply for these jobs after arrival. Off-campus work is not permitted for students in F-1 visa status for the first 9 months after their arrival to the United States.


The following documents are accepted as financial certification:

  • A current (less than six months old) original bank statement or certification from other legal financial institution, along with an original official letter (affidavit of support) from the sponsor. The letter should include the student's name, sponsor's name, his/her relationship to the student (parent, sister, friend, etc.), the amount of support and the time period for which it will be provided, and a stated willingness to cover the student's expenses.
  • Original written confirmation from the sponsoring institution or government agency of a scholarship, fellowship, or other type of funding. NOTE: copies of external funding also MUST be provided by the student to the University Bursar's Office to set up billing to these agencies.
  • For assistantships, a copy of the assistantship agreement signed by the department is required.
  • In case of personal funds, an original bank statement or statement from any legal financial institution that includes the student's name, and the amount available. Printed copies of web statements are accepted if signed and dated by the student on the bottom of the page with "I verify that this is a true copy of my bank statement." statement.

Submission deadline: Immigration Information Form and supporting documents have to reach the Graduate School by June 1 for the Fall semester and November 1 for the Spring semester.  


Mail or fax all financial documents to:
International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (0325)
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
fax: 1-540-231-3714

Contact Us

Talk with an immigration advisor:

Phone: +1 (540) 231-8486
Fax: +1 (540) 231-3714

Mailing Address:

International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center
155 Otey St. NW
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Follow us on Facebook

Walk-in Advising Hours

Monday Wednesday & Friday
1 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Tuesday & Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.