Social Security Number Application Requirements

Procedures for requesting a social security number for employment purposes.

Work Authorization for F1 Students

An overview of the types of employment authorization available to F1 students, including OPT, CPT (Co-op), new STEM OPT extension information, severe economic hardship, and on-campus employment.

Work Authorization for J1 Students

Overview of the types of employment authorization available to J1 students, including academic (practical) training and on-campus employment.

Tax Assistance for International Students

Information regarding W-2 forms and tax treaty benefits.



Contact Us

Talk with an immigration advisor:

Phone: +1 (540) 231-8486
Fax: +1 (540) 231-3714

Mailing Address:

International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center
155 Otey St. NW
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Follow us on Facebook

Walk-in Advising Hours

Monday Wednesday & Friday
1 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Tuesday & Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.