In order to request a change of visa status (for example, from F-2 to F-1 status, or from H-1 to F-1) the following information is required from the requester. You must hold a valid visa status at the time of application in order to be considered for a change of status by USCIS. Your status must be valid at the time the application is received by USCIS, AND must remain valid up until the date that the new status is requested to begin. Failure to maintain the previous status can result in denial of the new status application by USCIS.
- Completed I-539 form (download from www.uscis.gov )
- Check for $290 made payable to Department of Homeland Security/USCIS
- Copy of passport demographic page and visa page
- Front and back copy of the I-94 card
- Affidavit of support, bank statement, assistantship agreement or other proof of sufficient funding. Information should show funds available for at least two years. Funding documents cannot be more than 6 months old.
- Documents to show clear intent to return to your home country after completion of your degree. Examples would be titles to land you own, proof of home ownership, or a job offer in your country which is contingent upon completion of your degree. If you are unable to provide these documents, then write a letter describing your plans and expressing your intent to return to your home country after completion of your degree.
- Copy of current I-20 form, AND all previous I-20 forms from all schools attended.
- Copy of updated I-20 or DS-2019, as appropriate (issued by the Graduate School)
- If your current status or the change of status request is based on a spouse's visa status, the following information is required in addition to the information listed above:
- Copy of spouses passport (demographic and visa pages)
- Copy of spouse's I-94 (front and back)
- Copy of spouse's I-20/DS-2019 or other relevant immigration documents
- Affidavit of support, bank statement, assistantship agreement or other proof of sufficient funding showing that both the requester and spouse have sufficient funds.
Mail your Change of Status request to:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
P.O. Box 660166
Dallas, TX 75266
Please note that it will take about two months for USCIS to process your request. You are not authorized to work or enjoy any other benefits of the F-1 status until your Change of Status is approved.
NOTE: You also will be required to file a Form I-901 and pay a SEVIS fee. You can apply and pay the fee online at www.fmjfee.com. Failure to pay the SEVIS Fee will result in denial of the Change of Status request.
Although the Graduate School is not required to read or verify your application, we will be happy to review the completed packet with you before you mail it to USCIS. Should you have any questions, please contact us:
International Graduate Student Services
Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (0325)
Blacksburg , VA 24061
Phone: 540-231-8486, FAX: 540-231-3714