This form can be used by parents/relatives/other sponsors to indicate that financial support will be provided for a student's educational and living expenses. Required of students whose funding is coming from resources other than personal funds, a graduate assistantship, or government/corporate sponsorship. An original bank statement must accompany the affidavit form, showing the amount of funds available.
Submission of this form is required from all new international students. It collects critical information for immigration form issuance. Please be sure to attach ALL of the required documents as requested. Note that we need ORIGINAL funding documents, not copies (except in the case of a graduate assistantship contract).
Form for F-1 and J-1 students to report changes of address for SEVIS. Changes must be reported within 10 days of the change. Students still are responsible for updating their addresses on Hokie SPA for university records.
For F-1 students. Use this form to request an I-20 for extension, changes of major or academic level, change of status, reinstatement, or to replace a lost I-20.
For J-1 students. Use this form to request a new DS-2019, extend your program, change major or academic level, add dependents, or replace a lost DS-2019.
This form is used by international graduate students who are transferring to Virginia Tech after attending another school in the United States (whether they graduated from that school or not).
SEVIS record release request for international students. This form is used by international graduate students who are attending Virginia Tech and wish to transfer to another school (whether they graduate from VT or not).
University policy requires that F-1 and J-1 international students and their accompanying dependents have valid health and accident insurance during their stay at Virginia Tech. Students choosing an insurance plan other than the university-sponsored plan must present a completed and signed Alternative Insurance Compliance Form to the Student Medical Insurance Office in 110 Student Services Building.
OPT Application
This packet contains instructions and application forms for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
This form is used to apply for a Cap-gap extension (due to H1b approval) or the 17 month STEM extension (certain science, technology, engineering or math majors with OPT employment with an E-verify employer). Complete the Extension Application form and submit it to IGSS with the required documents. IGSS will review the application, and if it meets requirements, we will issue an extension OPT I-20 form. Read details about the new STEM OPT Extension procedures before applying.
This form collects employer name and address for OPT, as well as a student's change of address while on OPT.
This form is used for confirming the name, address and employer for students in the OPT STEM extension status.  It is required IN ADDITION to the above Report OPT Employment or Change of Address form.  Forms are due 6 months and 12 months from the OPT STEM start date as shown on the EAD.  The validation in SEVIS is only availabe 15 days prior to the due date through 10 days after the due date.  Failure to submit the OPT STEM Validation Report or submit the OPT STEM Validation Report within the reporting window will result in termination of the SEVIS record.
This packet contains instructions and application forms for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). This program is also known as Cooperative Education or Co-op.
Application for J1 students interested in applying for academic (practical) training.
Use this form to request an I-20 form for a dependent, either spouse or child. Sudents must be able to provide current funding documentation showing funds for their own educational and living expenses, plus additional funds to support a spouse ($5500) or child ($2500 per child). Healh insurance coverage is required for all dependents for the period of time that the student is enrolled at Virginia Tech. F2 dependents may not enroll in a degree program, but may take courses part-time in a non-degree status. If dependents wish to pursue this opton, they must apply and be accepted first. Consult with one of our immigration advisors before inviting dependents to join you.
For F-1 or J-1 students. Use this form to request an approval to enroll for less than full time hours. There are only two exceptions to the full time enrollment requirement for international students:
  • in your final semester, if you need only a few hours to complete your Plan of Study requirements; or
  • if you have medical problems, and need academic relief by requesting reduced hours. Paperwork from the Schiffert Health Center must be submitted to IGSS with the reduced enrollment form.
Submit the completed and signed form to IGSS before the beginning of the semester for which you want approval for reduced hours.
Use this form to request an enrollment certification for any entities in your home country who require verification of your enrollment at a U.S. school, such as banks, a scholarship agency, or for military service. We provide cost information for an entire academic year only.

If the certification of enrollment is for a U.S. agency, you must request an enrollment certification from the University Registrar's office. They provide the only official university academic enrollment certification.