The Graduate School presents one service award each year to honor students who demonstrate excellence in service internally or externally to the university.
Winners receive a plaque and $1,000 honorarium.
- Should demonstrate innovation, creativity or a new kind of engagement
- Should be for "promoting the public good," preferably in service internal or external to the university
- If service is internal to the university, it must be separate from that of existing department or faculty service commitment and clearly beyond that of the faculty advisor
- If student is also an employee of VT, service must have been performed in primary role as student
- No paid services or those that result in financial gain may be considered
- Nominee must be enrolled at the time of the nomination
- Service effort must have occurred in Spring, Summer or Fall 2016 while nominee was in student status
- Completed nomination form
- Two letters of recommendation that address significance of the impact of service(s) performed:
- One from a supervisor of the services performed, if applicable; otherwise from a beneficiary of the service
- One from anyone in the community who has had an opportunity to observe the performance of the service
- One letter from the nominee describing the service, including the time and/or level of commitment required to com plete nomination project(s) - maximum two pages.